Have you put science on the front page? Have you transformed community/political perceptions of a science-based issue?
We’re looking for two people to join the Science in Public team, working out of our office in Spotswood in Melbourne’s west, in short term and long term roles.
Science in Public helps science organisations present their ideas and discoveries in public space in the media, online, and via events. We have a growing portfolio of projects across Australia and have a team of ten staff and regular contractors.
We need experienced writers/journalists/publicists/project managers who have proven their passion and skill in communicating science and:
- Have transformed the public/political perception of a science-based issue.
- Can capture the essence of a science story in a headline and first paragraph and can write engaging and accurate copy as media releases/stories.
- Have proven that they can develop and sustain relationships with media and stakeholders.
- Are born networkers with a good working knowledge of Australia’s science community and how to work with it – and have the working contacts to prove it.
- Have proven client liaison, project, and event management skills.
- Are savvy users of the web, blogs, twitter and related tools and have successfully built and sustained online communities of interest. Mastery of WordPress is an advantage.
If you have four out of six of these key requirements, we’d like to hear from you.
Both positions are full-time or near full-time. Hours can be negotiated to be family friendly and pay will be negotiated based on experience.
If you are interested, please send us a short email with a few paragraphs on yourself and your mix of skills; as well as examples of your writing or links to samples of your work.
If you don’t have these skills but want to gain experience in a science communication business we also have opportunities for internships – from two week to four weeks. We will give preference to people who have already shown their interest in science communication by, for example, completing the science circus grad dip.
You can read more about our work at: www.scienceinpublic.com.au
Please email your expression of interest to Sarah Brooker, Managing Director, Science in Public, firstname.lastname@example.org, ph: 0413 332-489