We’re looking for both
- a Science Communication Project Officer; and,
- a Media and Communications Manager (Science).
Pay will be negotiated based on experience.
It’s your chance to discover, write about, and promote the work of researchers who are making a difference in this world. From tackling climate change to developing better batteries, unlocking the disease-fighting secrets of stem cells to seeing the Universe’s beginnings in exploding stars, these people are transforming lives.
You can make an impact, too, by helping them share their work.
For both roles we need people who already have strong connections in the research community. If you meet three out of four of the criteria below then we’d love to hear from you.
Please send your CV, some examples of your writing, and include in your cover note your experience in getting science into the media and why your mix of skills would work for us.
Applications close midday on Thursday 20 January 2022.
Sarah Brooker firstname.lastname@example.org 0413 332 489
Who we are looking for
Ideally, you are familiar with science and the research community, love finding the story in science, and are confident about pitching the story to the media and engaging with stakeholders in a professional and friendly manner.
You are passionate about helping scientists share their work with the wider world.
Science Communication Project Officer
This is for you if you:
- Can capture the essence of a science story in a headline and first paragraph and write engaging, accurate, evidence-based copy as media releases/stories/case studies – and have a portfolio that demonstrates your skill
- Are a born networker with a good working knowledge of Australia’s science community and how to work with it – and have the working contacts to prove it.
- Are confident in approaching media and can follow through in an efficient and friendly manner to land media coverage that’s true to the science
- Are a savvy user of the web, Twitter and other social media channels and have successfully built and sustained online communities of interest. Hands-on experience of WordPress, Mailchimp and/or Nationbuilder is an advantage.
If you have three out of four of the following criteria, we’d like to hear from you.
Media and Communications Manager (Science)
This is for you if you have most of the above skills/experience plus you have:
- Put science on the front page and/or major metro TV.
- Transformed the public and/or political perception of a science-based issue.
- Proven that you can develop and sustain mutual trust and respect with media and stakeholders.
- Proven you can manage clients and deliver projects to time and on budget.
Again, if you meet three out of these four criteria, we’d like to hear from you.
What we offer
The positions are both full-time, or near full-time, with a two-month probation period. Our office is in Spotswood in Melbourne’s West and there is the option of working from home up to two days a week. Working hours are flexible.
You will get to work with many of Australia’s leading researchers.
You’ll tell great stories and help people understand the science behind the issues. You’ll work with a team of experienced science communicators, writers, journalists, and publicists who have been getting science into the public space for nearly two decades.