Thursday 17 August 2017
Highlights from day six of National Science Week
448 events and exhibitions, 22 online activities, and dozens of great stories and talent.
National and international talent, researchers, experts, and other interesting people available for interview around the country. Plenty of photo opportunities.
- Wildlife forensics: meet the scientist using genetics to fight illegal wildlife trafficking. And the man who can tell how long you’ve been dead by looking at your bugs.
- Botany distilled: the best plants and science for making your favourite alcoholic drink.
- Raiding nature’s medicine chest: chemistry saving lives and creating jobs.
Charters Towers (near Townsville)
- What did a voyage to Antarctica tell us about women in science? Meet the scientist studying the scientists.
- Fluorescence: from forensic science to highlighter pens and spinach. Sydney chemist Elizabeth New reveals all.